Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Eminent Domain

Do you agree with the concept of Eminent Domain?  WHY or WHY NOT? Write at least 3 sentences

18 comments:

  1. I believe that eminent domain should only exist to improve public life not private wealth. I believe it is okay for the government to give fair compensation to someone in order to build a school or clinic, but not so that a car company can build a new parking lot. The government should not do the bidding for private corporations. Rahul Soni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I both agree and don't agree. If I think that it is for the common good I would love the idea of it. On the other hand, I think that if it was my property being taken away, I would hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not agree with the concept of Eminent Domain. I believe that everyone has the right to own their own property. The fact that some people have lost their property because the government took it from them is not constitutional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eminent domain should only be used to help the citizens that live in the area not to help private wealth. People should be allowed to decide what happens to the property they live in especially if they're going to kick there person out of where they live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No. I think that this was a good idea, and had a good motive behind it, but ultimately gives the government way to much power. This concept is widely abused and a corrupt way to better large corporations. I think that the courts need to establish a clear definition of PUBLIC USE in the constitution so that this concept will stay true to what is was created for.... WE THE PEOPLE

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the concept of eminent domain with a few restrictions. I think that it's okay unless one uses it for economic development such as revenue. Using it for such a thing is wrong and should be against the law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eminent domain should only be used to help the citizens that live in the area not to help private wealth. People should be allowed to decide what happens to the property they live in especially if they're going to kick there person out of where they live.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I disagree with eminent domain. It's an invasion of privacy in my opinion and what's someone's property is their property.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with eminent domain being used in the right way, i.e. for public schools or things like a police station; but i strongly disagree with it being used by private companies. The fact that the government will side with someone just because they can generate more property tax baffles me as the government should be working for the people, not against them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the concept of eminent domain. However, I think the concept could be reformed to only be used for things to help the public, like schools, or roads, instead of tax revenues. People would be more accepting of eminent domain if they had a say. Perhaps the government could send surveys or questionnaires asking if the people would like a school here. Another thing the government could do is not do eminent domain on small businesses, to prevent people from losing their livelihoods. It is not a perfect system, but I think eminent domain is a positive thing.

    -Eric Potak

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do not agree with Eminent Domain because it gives the government to much power, and could lead to corruption. The government given the ability to take any property they want,but having to compensate the previous landowner leads to the owners not being paid properly. It also leads to any land being taken if it means getting more profits for a different structure being in its place. The government is getting to powerful now a days, and they should not have the right to take private property if it is for economic development. Only for public use such as a library, school, and hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I disagree with eminent domain because I think it's an invasion of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe that when the law was made it had good intentions but the corruption of current day politics have swayed it to be a not so good law.It makes is possible for business owners to bribe politics to make land available for building. At the moment I don't agree with eminent domain

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't agree but also agree. I think that if someone's property is gonna get taken from them for a fair compensation they should have the right to agree or not and demand what they want in return for their property. Also I believe that if it occurs it should be to build something to help society, and something our society needs not wants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with eminent domain if it is for the right reasons. I believe private property can be taken away if and only if it is fair and for a purpose that will be for society. However, if the government is going to build something that is harmful to the environment or takes away property is a harsh manner, then I disagree with eminent domain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not believe eminent domain is right. The government should not have such power because it gets used for private reasons and leads to corruption. It is unconstitutional that people have to lose their property. It is a right to property, not a privilege meaning the government cannot revoke it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that Eminent Domain is a major invasion of rights of the people and is a very corrupt system. I believe that the concept of Eminent Domain is something that should be taken from the Govt because they completely misuse and abuse the power that has been given to them. I think that it is never okay for the government to impose on an american's right to life, liberty, and Property as granted by Thomas Paine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that Eminent Domain is a major invasion of rights of the people and is a very corrupt system. I believe that the concept of Eminent Domain is something that should be taken from the Govt because they completely misuse and abuse the power that has been given to them. I think that it is never okay for the government to impose on an american's right to life, liberty, and Property as granted by Thomas Paine.

    ReplyDelete